Yarn Love Bug
The project should easily be accomplished by ages 4 and up with help from a parent or guardian.
30 min - 1 hour
This week with ARTmobile@home, prepare for the season of love by making your very own love bugs. Give this cute Love Bug as a Valentine's Day gift or keep it for yourself!
Children will learn control and develop fine motor skills wrapping yarn while using creativity to decorating a Love Bug unique to them.
Art Materials Needed
- Small paper cup
- Googly eyes
- Hot glue gun
- Pipe cleaners
- Paper scraps / jewels / ribbon
- Start by wrapping a yarn of your choice around a 2" x 4" piece of cardboard lengthwise. Wrap the yarn around 60 - 90 times depending on the thickness of your yarn.
- When done wrapping, trim the yarn. Clip off another small piece of yarn and tie it around all the yarn on one side.
- Flip the yarn so the knot is on the bottom and cut through all strands on the opposite side.
- Next, place a glob of hot glue onto a small paper cup and secure the yarn where the knot is. Spread out the yarn with your fingers so it covers the entire cup.
- Begin decorating your Love Bug by slipping a pipe cleaner through the knot to create antennas.
- Finally, choose a pair of google eyes to add and secure with hot glue.