AGE RANGE: PROJECT SHOULD BE EASILY ACCOMPLISHED BY AGES 4 AND UP WITH HELP FROM PARENT OR GUARDIAN
APPROXIMATE TIME: 30 MINUTES TO 1 HOUR
We will be combining the two classic artform of weaving and painting to create our very own beautiful work of art!
Children are learning the skill of weaving with non-traditional weaving materials. As mentioned in the link below, weaving is one of the oldest surviving crafts in the world and can be traced back to thousands of years ago.
You can learn more about weaving here.
Art Materials Needed
- Two similar paintings on paper
- Eraser (Big eraser is the best)
- Start off by painting, drawing or coloring two pictures that are very similar.
- Once the paintings are completely dry, start off by choosing one painting and call this picture A.
- For picture A Start by measuring 1-inch sections down the left and right side of the paper. Draw a line to connect each strip. Then carefully cut the picture into the strips. I had about 9 for mine.
- Next, take the other picture (We can call this picture B) and measure about a half inch up from the bottom of the paper. Draw a line to mark off a half inch.
- On Picture B go to the top of the picture and mark out 1 inch sections, like we did for the last picture but on the long side of the paper. Mark the sections along the top and bottom of the paper. For the bottom section of the paper, mark your lines on the line you drew a half inch above the bottom of the paper.
- Connect the lines to create half inch sections again, STOPPING at the half inch line. Then carefully cut along the lines, making sure to not cut past the half inch section.
- Once both pictures are cut, in order from bottom to top, start weaving picture A’s strips through picture B. Go over, under, over, under until the strip is completely weaved through. For the next strip so the same steps but start under or opposite of the way you weaved the last strip.
- After all the strips of paper are in place, you may need to carefully scoot them all down to make them snug. Once this is done, tape the pack in order to secure the picture and hang up in your home!