Scrap Paper Mosaic
AGE RANGE: PROJECT SHOULD BE EASILY ACCOMPLISHED BY AGES 4 AND UP WITH HELP FROM PARENT OR GUARDIAN
APPROXIMATE TIME: 30 MINUTES TO 1 HOUR
Do you like puzzles and using your imagination? We are going to create a beautiful mosaic picture using up-cycled colored paper scraps to create objects or patterns. You might get carried away and mosaic your whole room!
Learn about piecing scraps together to create objects and patterns. Use your imagination to manipulate objects to form meaning. Recycle paper in a creative and intentional manner.
The objective of this project is to appreciate the skill of mosaic making and learning how to manipulate scraps into art. The outcome is a finished project that has meaning to the creative.
- Colored Paper
- White Paper
- Glue stick or school glue
- Black or dark marker
- Gather scraps of colored paper or cut up scraps of colored paper of various shapes and sizes.
- Think of something you would like to create: The sun? A flower? Maybe a fish? Or a neat pattern?
- Start to place your colored scraps on the white paper, fitting pieces together like a puzzle, overlapping some if you like. Maybe you really want to cut a piece so that it fits better-go ahead! It’s your masterpiece.
- Glue those pieces of paper to the white paper.
- With a black or dark marker draw big lines around your objects to create a better contrast and to give definition to your object.
- Hang up your work of art! We recommend in a window-it looks really pretty!