The project should easily be accomplished by ages 4 and up with help from a parent or guardian.
30 min - 1 hour
This week with ARTmobile@home we’re raiding the kitchen and using salt to create a 3-D painting!
Kids will learn that salt can easily absorb water (because it is hygroscopic) while making a creative design.
- Construction paper
- Liquid glue
- Watercolor or food coloring
- Start by sketching your design onto colored construction paper.
- Once you are happy with your design, trace it with a thick line of glue.
- Before the glue dries sprinkle your art with salt until it is completely saturated.
- Shake off the excess salt and set the paper aside to dry.
- If using watercolors, soak your paintbrush in water and paint. Drip the paint onto the salt instead of brush it so as not to disturb the salt.
- If you are using food dye, drop the colors on the salt and watch them spread and mix together.
- Continue adding paint or food coloring to the salt until completely filled in.