The project should easily be accomplished by ages 4 and up with help from a parent or guardian.
30 min - 1 hour
This week with ARTmobile@home will be making personalized buttons to show our support for the community during Pride month. Come along with us as we create art and read books in honor of this months celebration!
JOIN IN AS WE LEARN ABOUT PRIDE MONTH
Today we are celebrating Pride, an annual celebration commemorating queer resistance and community. What began as Christopher Street Liberation Day in the early 1970s has transformed into a global reckoning of queer freedom, justice, and advocacy. Then, like now, queer people demand safety, inclusion, the right to love openly, and to merely exist without the threat of legislative, physical, or emotional violence. Pride reminds us that difference is our strength. When people are treated unfairly because of who they are, allies must stand up, speak out, and demand change! These buttons are an important symbol of pride and solidarity with the queer community.
Follow along as we read some of our favorite pride books
|Our First book is Neither by Airlie Anderson that follows the troubles of a friend who at first doesn't fit in but then finds a group where they can be theirself.|
The Next book is And Tango Makes Three by Justin Richardson & Peter Parnell it is about a family of penguins and how there are all kinds of families, but Tango's family is not like any of the other's at the zoo.
- Tracing a cup or jar, draw a circle on card stock (if you are using one of the provided templates, you can skip this step)
- With the help of an adult, cut out your circle or template
- Cut out clippings from newspapers or magazines to make decorations
- Design your button using markers, pencils, clippings, and other supplies
- Glue all your decorations onto your circle
- Allow to dry before coloring if needed
- Once done coloring and decorating, flip the button over
- Apply glue to the back of the button and place the pin on
- Allow for it to dry completely
- When dried, put on your button and show off your pride!