Environment In A Jar
The project should easily be accomplished by ages 4 and up with help from a parent or guardian.
30 min - 1 hour
This week with ARTmobile@home we will be using art to create your own environment within a jar. Using paint and other items from outside to create an ecosystem of your choice to have at home!
This project offers the opportunity for children to learn about different ecosystems. Children can use the opportunity to explore different kinds of environments and the plants, animals, and other natural elements found in them.
Art Materials Needed
- Brown tissue paper
- Cotton balls
- Assorted paints
- Paint brush
- Plastic or glass jar
- First take your jar and make sure it is clean and dry.
- Take your paint brush and paint the outline of a tree on the outside of the jar.
- Once the outline of the tree is complete, start to paint the leaves. Make sure to wash your brush out inbetween colors.
- After you complete the tree, use blue paint to create a stream on the inside of the jar.
- Then take green paint and cover the rest of the bottom of the jar.
- Next, take some small pieces of nrowm tissue paper and place some green paint on it. This will help it blend into the bottom of the jar and also help it stick.
- Repeat the above steps until you are satisfied with the amount of tissue paper in the jar.
- Finally, break a stick into pieces and place it inside your jar.
- And there you have it, your own ecosystem in a jar!