Dinosaur Handprint Painting
AGE RANGE: PROJECT SHOULD BE EASILY ACCOMPLISHED BY AGES 4 AND UP WITH HELP FROM PARENT OR GUARDIAN
APPROXIMATE TIME: 30 MIN - 1 HOUR
Dinosaurs came in all shapes and sizes. Join ARTmobile and let's imagine our own version of dinosaurs using our handprints! This project is easily completed by kids of all ages. Additionally, kids will get to learn about dinosaurs along the way.
Dinosaurs died out hundreds of millions of years ago, but before dinosaurs were around, other types of animals existed too. Many of these animals were reptiles, meaning that they could not produce their own body heat and relied on the sun.
Some people believe that the dinosaurs went extinct because of a giant asteroid that hit the Earth. They even believe they know where that asteroid hit the Earth, with evidence of it in Mexico. Some scientists believe certain types dinosaurs evolved into what birds are today.
Although we may think of the Tyrannosaurus Rex when we think of dinosaurs, most of the dinosaurs ate plants and not meat. It was actually only a few types that hunted and were carnivores, meaning that they ate meat. Most were herbivores, meaning they relied on plants and leaves for their diets.
- Washable (Tempera) Paint
- Watercolor Paint
- Paint Brush
- Outstretch your palm and apply a layer of tempera paint on it.
- Place four fingers onto the paper, then find where you would like the head to go and place you thumb where you would like it.
- Rinse off your hand and then fill in any gaps in the handprint with paint.
- After the handprint has dried, paint on a face and different patterns on your dinosaur.
- Don’t forget a tail!
- Next, paint a background with watercolors! Is your dinosaur in a forest? Do they live near water? I’m going to paint mine on beach.
- Outline your background and then paint it in
- And there you have it, your very own dinosaur!