MLK Remembrance Celebration
January 18, 2021
A day of virtual programming to commemorate the life and work of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. beginning at noon through 8:30 p.m. on Monday, January 18.
Programming includes readings from several of King’s works, live panels and discussions on a variety of historical and present day issues and topics, as well as multimedia and art presentations from the Black Lives Matter: Silence equals violence exhibit. Converge Radio Presents We’re Still Dreaming beginning at 7 p.m. will pay tribute to the legacy of Martin Luther King Jr. with musical performances with readings of Dr. King’s “I Have a Dream” speech interspersed.
Schedule of Events :
Interspersed throughout the day will be short discussions on the continued relevance of Martin Luther King Jr., musical presentations, and features of the artwork and artists of the Black Lives Matter: Silence equals violence art exhibit.
- 12:00 - Welcome and Reading of the “Letter from Birmingham Jail”
- 12:15 - Live Panel - How does the History of the Klan in the Chippewa Valley affect us today?
- 1:00 - Discussion - Antisemitism & Racism
- 1:35 - Transformation Project
- 2:00 - Live Panel - Race and Religion
- 3:45 - Discussion - Race, Civility, and the First Amendment
- 5:00 - Conversation in Color Discussion - ABCs of Racism
- 6:05 - Presentation - Fighting Disinformation
- 7:00 - Converge Radio Presents - We’re Still Dreaming
This virtual event will be streamed on Perigon through Pablo Center and Facebook Live on the King Remembrance Program for Eau Claire WI Facebook page. Portions of this event will also be broadcast locally on Converge Radio, 101.9 FM.
This year’s Chippewa Valley Martin Luther King Remembrance Celebration is a collaboration between Uniting Bridges, Pablo Center at the Confluence, Converge Radio, the University of Wisconsin- Eau Claire, the University of Wisconsin- Stout, the City of Eau Claire, and the City of Altoona.
This year’s Chippewa Valley Martin Luther King Remembrance Celebration is a collaboration between Uniting Bridges, Pablo Center at the Confluence, Converge Radio, the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire, Chippewa Valley Technical College, the University of Wisconsin-Stout, the City of Eau Claire, and the City of Altoona.